Re: (TV) Joe wrote: I still miss Frank Zappa more, though.

"Pontrelli, Paul Jay" <jPontrelli@stites.com> wrote:
> But what else did Frank have to accomplish?  (although I am certainly not
> challenging your opinion)

Indeed, what more did Hendrix or Drake or Miles have left to do?

Each of these people are missed not because there's an obvious hole
left in their work, but because they were able to expand their work
into unexpected areas.

One thing FZ left undone was his run for President.  He was seriously
contemplating becoming the Libertarian candidate in the '84 election,
but was too sick to do it by the time it rolled around.  I would have
*loved* to have seen him shake up Bush and Clinton (and maybe even Perot,
though with a visible 3rd party candidate already, Perot may not have
entered the race).

There's the same sense of loss that I have with John D MacDonald.  I
can always enjoy the existing works, but I know I'll never have the
thrill of hearing a new FZ composition or reading a new Travis McGee
novel.