Re: (TV) Neil and camber sands

As far as I can tell, many of Neil Young's 'studio' albums have always
been done live, especially the recent ones, so I guess it doesn't make
much difference whether they're done live in front of an audience or
live in the studio. I'm sure that the bulk of the tracks on Sleeps With
Angels, for instance, are pretty much straight live takes. And he quite
often messes with live recordings in the studio, too -- listen to the
ace version of 'Cortez The Killer' from Live Rust -- so it's like
there's no real distinction between studio and live recordings for Neil.
The only really 'studio' albums he's done were the first one, and the
experimental ones like Trans.
However, I agree that his most recent live albums have been pretty
lacklustre. The guitar solos began to get a bit out of hand on Weld, and
there's nothing on Year Of The Horse he hasn't done better elsewhere.
Road Rock has a great version of 'Words', but not much else. Though it
should stand as a lesson to rock stars everywhere not to get members of
their family to sing backing vocals... Maybe he just thinks 'Hell,
they'll be bootlegged to death anyway, so I might as well put them out officially.'
Actually, my favourite Neil Young album of all is a live album, 'Time
Fades Away'. None of those songs has been released in a studio
recording, as far as I know, but the versions on TFA are great.
Don't know yet about numbers for Camber sands -- it depends how many of
my friends who said 'Yeah, that sounds good' will translate their
enthusiasm into cheques...
Sam

Billy Ancell wrote:

> Guy wrote: he'll do it with crazy horse. why be
> satisfied with beer while
> you have the fine whisky?
>
> Ok, here's what irritates me about Neil - his live
> albums. They rarely featured unreleased or prev
> unheard material, it's always the same songs, Sedan
> delivery appears on Weld, live rust and year of the
> horse, and the version on rust never sleeps sounds
> identical to the one on live rust, just with the crowd
> dubbed out. And the punchline is there is no released
> studio recording of this song! And although the
> versions of the songs may be alternate, it doesn't
> make up for the fact that an album like year of the
> horse was a wholly unnecessary release - and a rip off
> too.
>
> And apart from the new one, they're all Crazy Horse -
> so much for variety. (Ok CSNY etc) I've only heard
> Road Rock once, and it has Motorcycle Mama on it! (if
> ever a song ruined the mood and feel of an album, it's
> this one - what on earth was this muddy dirge doing on
> the Comes a Time record)
>
> I also want to make a call for help - who's going to
> Camber Sands that needs one person to make up the
> numbers? I can't get four people to go!
>
> Bil
>
> =====
> Nothing ever happens until it happens twice - Tom Verlaine

Sam Inglis
Assistant Editor,
Sound On Sound Magazine.
Tel +44 (0)1954 789888.