(TV) Neil Young

The first time I heard Tom mention Neil Young was when he said, "I love
Neil Young, especially Zuma". I've also heard him say he likes "Like A
Hurricane". I told him I was in the studio when Neil invited Devo in to
do a song for his movie "Human Highway". When I said Neil had a ranch
south of San Francisco Tom said, "I wish I had a ranch". Ten years later
Tom played on "Cortez the Killer" on tour with the Church. Then in the
'90s Tom's friend Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth got Tom and Rip a slot
on one of Neil's shows, unless I'm mixing those shows up with Patti
Smith's shows with Neil. (Did Tom play with Patti when she opened for
Neil, I don't remember). Anyway after Tom played on a Neil Young bill I
asked him if he jammed with Neil. Tom said "No". (I don't think Neil was
socializing with the opening acts.)  As for the Stones, Tom spoke of
their influence quite a bit until Richard Lloyd innocently introduced me
to them and a healthy rivalry developed. (A demo song for the next
Stones album is called "Poor Little Johnny Glass" according to someone
at Virgin). I always thought the guitar on "Start Me Up" was a take-off
on "Marquee Moon". What do you think? Keith knows that Tom is a more
complex player, hence the line "I can't compete with the riders in the
other heats". The Stones covered Ray Sharpe's Linda Lu, then Tom wrote
Lindi Lu. I thought Tom's "Cover" was a response to the Stones'
"Undercover" (I was undercover, but Tom was the cover I was under).