(TV) Tom's Acoustic Tour

Tom told me that his own parents didn't understand why he did a solo
acoustic tour. According to Tom (who likes to make up funny stories just
to get my reaction, but maybe this really happened), backstage after a
show in Pennsylvania his mother said, "Why aren't you touing with an
electric band? Why didn't you do Marquee Moon?"

He didn't have the money to pay a band. Besides, he liked playing
acoustic. He sounded O.K. in San Juan Capistrano. I introduced him to my
mother backstage. She was impressed by his huge size. She said he
reminded her of the mysterious Greta Garbo in a movie she'd seen on TV.
He reminds me more of Gregory Peck. In fact Tom does a great
impersonation of Gregory Peck as General MacArthur. That reminds me, one
summer Tom grew a full beard, but he was uncertain if he should keep it.
He asked me, "Do I remind you of Kenny Loggins?" It was funny.

Getting back to the acoustic tour, after the show Tom drove his manager
and me to a hotel in Beverly Hills. He was tempted by a doughnut shop on
the way, but it wasn't quite the same as Veneiro's pastry shop in NYC.
His manager Jon got special rates on hotels all over the world. Tom
liked that manager, a British chap who'd managed the Proclaimers. Jon
eventually left for a lucrative job with a record company in Japan. The
hotel in Beverly Hills was luxurious but there was hammering and
drilling going on outside the window. Tom said that's one problem with
touring and having to sleep in the daytime. You're often put in a room
near noisy construction workers. He phoned the front desk and asked that
the workers be made to stop working. Tom is very sensitive that way. He
once told me to put my small clock in the closet because the ticking was
keeping him awake. Sensitivity or eccentricity? Whichever, I didn't
mind. He is sensitive to sounds because he's a musician. He's amusingly
eccentric in other ways too, I admit. Tom's luggage for the tour
consisted of one plastic grocery bag!