Re: (TV) CDs on the player

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (Yup, that's the title) - Charles Mingus
- very Beat-sounding large-ensemble jazz. I challenge anyone to evict "II B.S." from their head once they've heard it.

The Complete Riverside Recordings of Thelonious Monk - exquisite. Today, it's the sessions for _Himself_.

The Cover Doesn't Matter - Sure, I liked it when I first heard it, but it's progressively grabbed me from there. I always have to play it twice.

The Lullaby Baxter Trio - surreal lyrics over gentle Tom-Waits-ian carnival music. (Most of the band--not a trio--was in the band for _Night on Earth_)

Unwound -- Tim Berne's Bloodcount. Frenetic schizy avant-jazz supergroup. The drummer, Jim Black, is astonishing.

Lifestyle - Silkworm. Great rock songcraft from this 1/3 Seattle 2/3 Chicago band. Mighty, sarcastic, emotionally moving, and just released last year. Might well be their best yet.

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/