From: Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) CDs on the player
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 17:48:07 -0500

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (Yup, that's the title) - Charles Mingus
- very Beat-sounding large-ensemble jazz.  I challenge anyone to
evict "II B.S." from their head once they've heard it.

The Complete Riverside Recordings of Thelonious Monk - exquisite.
Today, it's the sessions for _Himself_.

The Cover Doesn't Matter -  Sure, I liked it when I first heard it,
but it's progressively grabbed me from there.  I always have to play
it twice.

The Lullaby Baxter Trio - surreal lyrics over gentle Tom-Waits-ian
carnival music. (Most of the band--not a trio--was in the band for
_Night on Earth_)

Unwound -- Tim Berne's Bloodcount.  Frenetic schizy avant-jazz
supergroup.  The drummer, Jim Black, is astonishing.

Lifestyle - Silkworm.  Great rock songcraft from this 1/3 Seattle 2/3
Chicago band.  Mighty, sarcastic, emotionally moving, and just
released last year.  Might well be their best yet.

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/