Re: (TV) The Blow Up

At 08:13 PM 2/8/2001 -0800, Philip P. Obbard wrote:
Ok, got that? :^) Now, THIS CASE IS CLOSED is a bootleg CD of Television's
"first" farewell concert from July 29, 1978, at the Bottom Line. It's also a
good show, but the tape is occasionally marred by loud yelling ("play Little
Johnny Jewel!!" which they never do). On the upside, you get to hear rarities
like "The Dream's Dream", "Grip of Love", and "Psychotic Reaction" done live.
And the sheer historic value.

What gets me is that I know shows were being professionally taped at the Bottom
Line at the same time Television played this show - David Johansen's LIVE AT
THE BOTTOM LINE was recorded 8 days earlier, and you can even see 'TELEVISION'
in the marquee in photos in the CD booklet - but we have yet to see even one
professionally recorded Television performance surface. Even the known FM shows
have drop-outs (like San Francisco 78, or the Paris show from 92) or problems
in existing tape copies... sigh.

The Bottom Line shows *were* professionally taped. Tin Huey opened for Television all three nights, and I was the band's road manager at the time. The Bottom Line sound engineers played back some of the Huey tapes for us, but we couldn't persuade them to let us hear the Television tapes (all the Hueys were *major* TV fans, and of course ex-Huey Chris Butler is now drumming in Richard's band).

Karen Berg (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic A&R) told us she thought Elektra would probably release a live Television LP, but as we all know that never happened. Maybe Tom thought it would interfere with sales of his solo album.

It's astonishing to me that these tapes have never surfaced on a boot. Maybe the originals are on a shelf in Tom's closet.

Jim K.