(TV) Knock knock knocking

Now I've listened to the versions and tried to compare them. when I first heard the -76 version the other day I couldn't hear the "loading" between verse and chorus, one of my favourite parts in the song, and weren't there more guitar interplay on the Blow up version? Comparing them I first didn't think the differences were that big, the groundstructure was the same, all the stops were there, but for some reason it didn't sound the same at all. When I listened again I found lots of differences. Slower tempo and a much more laidback attack on the -78 version gives more space. All the tasteful details like the "chorus-loading" (or something, excuse my english) and the stops gets more effect and are also played more distinct, the snaredrum becomes a whiplash. The -78 version is also longer (2min). There's a fantastic intro that gets you in the mood. There are also "extra intros" in the song, before each verse. On The last time it feels like the line up is more traditional, Tom Verlaine: singer/songwriter and Richard Lloyd: LEAD guitar. Where is Tom's guitar? He's trying to be Dylan! In my opinion he does not succeed. Dylan is a singer, not Verlaine. On the Blow Up he has realized that the weak vocal answers in the chorus had to be replaced by his 014 set of strings. Tom's guitar is definitely present on the Blow up version and makes it so exiting. And the interaction between the guitars are there. To me the Blow Up version is THE VERSION, no doubt. I have always loved it and I will probably always do, until anyone of you digs up some obscure tape that will prove something else. But I think that version, in that case, has to be from the last year of Television. What made their songs that great were, I think, that they let them mature under long time. I also listened to a take of the song from CBGB:s feb -76 (I'm using Fun Pack everyday, aren't you!!!) and that one is really fun, cause you can hear that a lot will happen in the next two years. I don't dare to say they can't play here, but the guitar-attitude is more garage/punk. TV had a lot of time to refine their songs. I use to think that Tom V solo is something completely different, when he had run out of old Television songs much of his material became sketches, and that's why the reunionalbum sounds more like a new Verlaine-record. I love it, but it's something different.

THANK YOU, GOODNIGHT!!!

PS. Maurice, where is your analyze?

From: "Per Rosén" <per_m_rosen@hotmail.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) Knocking On Heavens Wall
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 02:19:47 -0000

Fun Pack - Got it yesterday, haven't listened yet but if Knockin... on the
Last Time is, as you all say, better than the Blow Up version (can it be
better???), I will definitely brainwash this guy with it. I will declare
war. Guns&Roses are pathetic.

I'd gladly give up the one on The Blow-Up for a higher-fi version of the
one from The Last Time.

OH NO! It all went wrong, with big expectations I put on the song as loud as
I could through my internal PC-speaker. But...(!?!) I didn't find anything
of the magic from the Blow Up version. It was really embarrasing. And of
course my mate put on the G&R-version LOUD as hell. And that was not enough,
he also downloaded a Jerry Garcia hippieversion and played that. Sorry, but
it was all a big disappointment, in what way is this old Last Time version
better??? Please explain!

I have to listen to both tomorrow and really analyze 'em.

Time to sleep (for me, not to most of you yet, I guess)