Re: (TV) No Trade Policy - Clarified

Keith hit the nail on the head.

I have no objection to discussions of 'collectible' material on the list (and I
frequently do it myself), whether it is tape, vinyl, CD, MP3, etc. E.g., "Has
anyone heard the tape of Richard Hell's show at the White House in 1991? What
is the title of the third song? Don't you love his bass playing? Do you think
his tribute to Saddam was controversial?" is fine.

My objection is to openly *trading* on the list, e.g., "I have a videotape of
Verlaine playing with James Taylor and Rep. Dan Burton at the 'Rock Against the
Estate Tax' benefit in 1998, and in return I'm looking for unreleased studio
material from his infamous 'Kathie Lee Gifford' duet sessions..." etc. There
are plenty of tape trading sites run by fans out there, and enough clues on the
list to figure out who would be trading offlist that openly trading on the list
is unnecessary, ethically questionable (since several members of TV definitely
oppose any bootlegging, and tape trading often leads there), and annoying to
people who aren't interested in who has what tape wading through message after
message ("You mean the one where you can hear Tom insult Frank right when he
walks in for lunch with Kathie?!?").

Does this make sense? Sorry if the FAQ is not clear; I'll try to clarify it
over the next few days.

Please let me know if there are any questions or comments. You are welcome to
debate the merits of this policy on-list or off-list.

--Philip "no overt censorship" Obbard
Your Friendly Neighborhood List Admin