Re: (TV) I dont know I guess

In a message dated 3/6/01 9:55:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, maurice@mac.com
writes:

> Wow, what a guy-centric list.  What about people's lists of favorite
>  female vocalists?

Well, I'm just hearing PJ Harvey for the first time as I type this, and I'm
impressed so far. (I wanted to see what she sounded like since PJ Harvey's
opening for U2).

Other faves for me are Bibi Farber (keeping a mild TV tie-in), Chrissie Hynde
and Patti Smith. If you want Helium, there's always Kate Bush, who I've been
a big fan of for ages (even though her last album didn't quite match her
previous work).

For me though, the best female vocalist I've ever heard is Sandy Denny, hands
down. Absolutely stunning voice.

All that being said, I find I care less about the voice and more about the
performance lately. Tom's voice is unusual, but the songs are so great that
it doesn't matter. There's also a passion in his stuff that sells it without
having a great pure voice. Frankly, I've found Richard's voice a little
suspect, but his songwriting is top notch (as is, obviously, the guitar
work), so I end up really enjoying his new album.

    -- Owen

Owen Gwilliam
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/otg
http://shadowy.brainiac.com (The Shadowy Page On A Shadowy Web)

"I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn"
    -- Neil Innes, "Protest Song"