(TV) singing women

wow.  you guys have some great taste -- if you were
closer i'd invite you all over for some of the baked
goods me and the fam are whipping up.  you're right, i
completely blanked on georgia hubley, sandy denny, and
beth orton (the latter is especially surprising since
my fave director, hal hartley, did her music video).
one female vocalist i blanked on that no one else has
mentioned is jill scott, though she's a new discovery
-- i was so psyched about her performance with moby
and the blue man group on the grammys that i
downloaded a bunch of her mp3s on napster just to see
if the record was worth getting.  guess what?  it's on
the list.  her voice gives me goosebumps.

i'm kind of bummed out that the world and the music
biz are such places where being a female musician is
still so strange that one has to start an entire
thread on a mailing list in order to notice heretofore
unrecognized girls who rock.  on the other hand, i
participated in this thread, so i'm as complicit as
anyone.

--chelsea

=====
chelsea the mod pixie*tugboat@channel1.com
       http://www.pixievision.com
"i'm very happy.  it's the songs that are depressed."
--kristin hersh