(TV) Re: coltrane sun ship & louis armstrong hot 5's & 7's

At 8:17 PM +0000 3/12/01, Eric Veillette wrote:
>btw, how's john coltrane's Sun Ship?

& maurice wrote: Dunno. All I've heard of the later period Coltrane is from the
Impulse 2-CD compilation.  Anyone?

"sun ship" is a "great quartet" disc, the last one, i believe. it can be quite noisy in my opinion, verging on free. sort of in the same territory as "meditations." and like "meditations", i find i have to be in the mood for it. (which is rare for me---i have about 75% of 'tranes official output.) it just doesn't fade in the backgound. it demands your attention. sometimes i put it on at work just to keep my coworkers out of my office.

if you're going to buy the louis armstrong hot five's & seven's box (which i'd strongly recommend, by the way, because it shreds in so many more ways than i can describe) look for the 4 disc box on jsp. better pressings than anything columbia has done & a heck of a lot cheaper. bought mine locally, new, for about $22. but the jsp liner notes suck---so then spend another $16 on laurence bergman's great armstrong bio. (it mostly focuses on the period from birth to the '50's) this entire package is still cheaper than the recent columbia box.

sam matthews