Re: (TV) Dubious...

At 1:09 PM -0800 3/15/01, Brian Young wrote:

All right, that does it, I break out the Jandek today and give him another listen. Two TV fans can't be wrong, so I guess it's time to give 'em another chance. I haven't listened to them in a few years, so maybe I'm ready for them now.

Really, my love of Jandek came from the two LPs immediately _after_ Modern Dances, _Blue Corpse_ and _You Walk Alone_. Y'know the last three songs on MD, after all the silly goofing around with Nancy and whatsisname? Given those quiet, depressive three tunes and the bitter, despondent heartbreak of _Blue Corpse_, it's obvious that Nancy left him for the other guy. _BC_ is a real catharsis record, and _YWA_ follows it up with twisted electric blues and transcendent tribal rituals. Hell, _YWA_ does have its TV tonalities, although I'm speaking quite loosely here.

I wouldn't recommend MD as a starting point, though, so YMMV...

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/