From: Henry17306@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:33:19 EST
To: tv@obbard.com (TV)
Subject: (TV) Richard Lloyd's Village Underground Gig 03/16/01

Hi MM'ers,

Recovering from last night's show. It was great. Steve Wynn & The Miracle 3
opened up for Richard and they were impressive. Good songwriting and pop
hooks. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Dream Syndicate or most of the
West Coast
alternative bands from the 80's. Steve got an excellent reception from the
audience when his set was over. There will be a new album out next month.
Anybody have any
information on Steve or Dream Syndicate? How good are they?

Richard was backed with Chris Butler, Peter Stuart and Bibi Farber. Overall,
Richard played very well and was impressive. A lot of guitar attack. I'm not
a big fan of the "Covers" album as of yet, just had it a month, but the
material live was better than
what is on cd. The odd thing was that during and at the end of the show, the
audience seemed to give Richard lukewarm applause. I know that New Yorker's
have
a reputation of being a tough audience, but this was the first time I've
experience it
in seeing probably 75 to 100 shows (not much, I grant you), but Richard did
not deserve such a response. But I'm not criticizing how the audience should
have applauded, it did seem to be an honest appreciation, just seemed odd
that Steve was
honored with the louder applause from my perspective.

Richard was very friendly on stage and off. He made jokes, had some
mechanical problems at the beginning and even threw in "Misty Eyes" during
the encore which
was not included in the set list. So Richard must've felt happy with his
performance
and the audience's reaction, I assume.

The set list reads as follows:

Talking About Midnight
Secret Words
The Knockdown
Fire Engine
Ain't It Time
Alchemy
She Loves To Fly
Murder Boogie
Hey Joe
Strangestrange
Downline
Raising The Serpent
Submarine
Torn Shirt

Encore:
Carousel
Sway
(Misty Eyes)
Good Times / Bad Times

I even got Richard to autograph my cd and asked him and the possible TV
reunion
show in NY. He said that it's a possibility that it may NOT happen. A source
close
to Verlaine told me yesterday that Tom says that a show will happen in NY,
but not
confirmed yet with date or venue yet. So who knows what will happen in NY. I
hoping that it does!!

Bottom Line: If you get a change to see Richard then do so.

Anybody from the list also go to the show?????

Henry