Re: (TV) Bootlegs

In a message dated 4/23/01 4:40:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
andy@cheesemaker.fsnet.co.uk writes:

>  On a more serious note , wouldn't it be prudent to effectively eliminate
the
>  majority of the need for bootlegs by releasing the material people want
>  privately , much like Pete Townshend does via his website

For my money, this is the *ONLY* way to "combat" bootlegs. With CDRs so
common now, *ANYONE* can make a bootleg. It's not like you have to find a
record plant that will look the other way and press your record. Given that,
you're not going to stop the boots, and if you can't beat 'em ...

Pete's web site is a great example (as are the CDs themselves). King Crimson
also has a series of "King Crimson Collector's Club" CDs (one every other
month or so), and of course there's the flood of Pearl Jam live CDs.

Personally, I think either Pete or KC's model would be ideal for
Verlaine/Television releases. With the KC CDs, you're told right up front
that the sound quality may not be perfect, and on their web site, they even
rate the sound of upcoming releases.

I would think that even with TV's limited fan base, there'd be enough of us
to make it a profitable idea.

    -- Owen

Owen Gwilliam
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/otg
http://shadowy.brainiac.com (The Shadowy Site On A Shadowy Web)

"I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn"
    -- Neil Innes, "Protest Song"