Re: (TV) The Wonder v. Warm & Cool

At 3:52 PM -0400 4/25/01, Cameron wrote:

... in the case of Warm & Cool, there's just too much that's lacking.  It
needs more arrangements, more instruments.  When you compare Warm & Cool to
Tom's film score stuff, his music for film sounds more complete, whereas
Warm & Cool sounds like a blueprint to a great album.  It sounds unfinished.

Having said that, there are lots of great songs on it.  "Spiritual" would be
amazing in a film score.  It makes me think of someone remembering a summer
evening at dusk when they were walking by a river with a girl who's not
around anymore.
Oh yeah, the cover of the album is cool looking, too.  It would make an
amzing film score...

If Warm & Cool is an unfinished-sounding "blueprint to a great album," why do you write, "It would make an amazing film score"? Do you just mean "Spiritual"? (I presume you don't mean that the cover of the album would make an amazing film score....) I don't mean to criticize; I'm just unsure what you're saying.

(By the way, "walking by a river with a girl who's not around anymore" amuses me as a very Verlaine-esque turn of phrase: how can you be walking with someone who's not around? I know what you meant, but I'm a pedantic former editor, so....)

The Wonder has some of Tom's most romantic lyrics.  "Pillow" is an amzing
song, I think.  So is "Stalingrad", which, by the way, was the very first
Tom Verlaine solo song I ever heard.  It just needed to be recorded
differently.  Perhaps, more like "Tom Verlaine" or "Adventure".  To me,
Tom's best recording sound came off of those two albums.

The fact that Stalingrad is the first TV solo song you ever heard reminds me of a theory of mine: I think we generally form our notion of what an artist "sounds like" from our first encounters with his or her music. After that, everything else is measured against that standard or prototype. That might explain why many fans rebel against an artist's growing and changing; the artist, of course, has no such inner standard to stick to: he does what he always did, namely, explore the latest musical avenue that interests him

It might also explain why your taste in TV differs from mine: your notion of what Tom "should" sound like is based on The Wonder; mine is based on Marquee Moon and, as far as Tom solo goes, his first, eponymous album. (Admittedly, you said that Stalingrad was your first Tom solo song, so I guess you'd heard Television before that.)

- Jesse