RE: (TV) Rating the TV albums/Nerve

At 3:52 PM -0400 4/25/01,Leo wrote:

Yes, facinating how one person's food is another person's poison: Jesse wrote: "...but others strike me as too precious (always a direction Tom veered perilously close to). Frankly, the way Tom sings the opening couplet on "Without a Word" verges on self-parody for me."

Funny how what one person's finds too precious another [me] finds terribly romantic and beautiful. Do you also find the guitar solo at the song's end precious and wimpy?

I don't know; I haven't listened to the record recently. And I wouldn't say "poison," more along the lines of cotton candy. (By the way, it isn't the lyric that bothers me; it's the way Tom's voice breaks on "lies" and "eyes" [going from memory here].)

>Always a direction Tom veered perilously close to) Why must all his music be raveup rockers; TV's not a one-dimensional musician, he has his poetic side too--that's what makes him so great.

Didn't you read my comment on how much I loved "Song"? There's plenty of room in my tastes for Tom's softer, dreamier side. It's just that for me, he occasionally steps over an invisible line. That's why I wrote that he "veers perilously close to" precious at times; when he doesn't pass that line, he's artful. Obviously you and I have a different sense of that boundary, but that's OK; to each his own.

I might have been a little hyperbolic in stressing the differences I perceive among Tom's albums. I certainly don't despise any of them (unlike how some people appear to feel about Warm & Cool!), and I'm sure will listen again, with enjoyment, to The Wonder at some point. But I'll reach for Flash Light far more often.

- Jesse