Re: (TV) Seattle (long, rambling and half-awake)

I've been looking around for other reports of Joel's set, which seems to have been low-volume in front of a chattering audience. His performances definitely have quiet and intimate stretches which sound like the latest EP. When I saw him, it was in support of 1999's _Blackbird_, and he was indeed bringing the rock, so to speak, for those songs, although the ones from _3_ were also done quietly, on acoustic. Live recordings I've heard lean more toward the acoustic or electric side, depending on what the songs need.

I think he's a great songwriter and a fine performer, and you can stand his ouvre up against anyone's--for emotional catharsis and understanding fellowship in the midst of despair, Joel's songs are it, and the closest comparison I'd point to would be the more wrenching songs in the Crazy Horse catalog. (Which doesn't really address the phenomenal transparent beauty of _3_, but is closer for _Blackbird_ and _Warm Springs Night_, maybe.)

So yeah, Michael didn't get out of JRLP/DT what is to be gotten. All I know is that I've been moved from first hearing one of his songs on college radio, and that there was no turning back from becoming a fan. Why others aren't, I dunno. (Sort of like being a TV fan on a smaller scale.)