RE: (TV) OT: Radiohead is bigger than God

Yes and no according to the Jeff Buckley biography Dream Brothers.  A
summary, of what I remember from the book is that Verlaine was not seen as
the best producer for the band by the record lable but he had a rep for
producing cheaply (other bands other than his self) and Buckley was
massively over budget as he was using studio time to jam and write songs.
Verlaine got them into his fave studio in New York and Buckley's new drummer
overheard Verlaine tell Buckley to can him as the drummer apparantly
couldn't keep time.

They all went to Memphis (or was it Nashville?) and recorded an album.
Buckley was not happy with the album and decided to can the sessions.
Verlaine told him to destroy the master tapes if he didn't want them
released because the record lable would release them.

My take was that Verlaine was kind of a scapegoat here.  Buckley said he
wasn't happy with the production but I think Buckley was unhappy with the
songs he wrote as he also sent the band home and then wrote a bunch of new
songs.  Verlaine appeared to be frustrated by Buckley's insistence on
keeping a drummer that could not keep time and that Buckley had not worked
out any of the songs prior to going into the studio but they had breakfasts
together and worked on a few things after the band left.  It was a decent
book and a must for any Buckley (Tim or Jeff) fan.

greg