RE: (TV) Mick Ronson

From: Jesse Hochstadt <Jesse_Hochstadt@brown.edu>
Per Rosen wrote:

In my opinion Bowie had
pretty bad taste choosing his guitarists after Ronson. Ronson really ROCKED.
The others never had a clue how to do that. (Fripp, Belew and Gabrels have
other qualities.)

I always thought Carlos Alomar served Bowie very well in the rhythm
guitar role for a long time. During Bowie's "soul man" period(s), a
guitarist who "really ROCKED" wouldn't have served the music very
well.

- Jesse

Long live Carlos, but Bowie of course also had a lead-guitarist even on these tours (Diamond Dogs and Soul Tour in -74), it was Earl Slick! And he TRIED to rock. I'm not talking about the music style. A guy like Ronson had at least some charisma and sensibility and also a great impact on the production etc. I'm sure Belew was the right person on the -78 tour, but maybe not on the Sound&Vision Tour in 1990 (greatest hits tour). I would have preferred a guy with the same talent as Ronson instead of guys like Earl Slick, Stacey Heydon and Peter Frampton. The last mistake was the Helmet-guitarist (don't remember his name) on the Hours promo tour. For last summers shows he had to call his big compromise Earl Slick again. (Remember when he replaced S R Vaughan a few days before the Seriuos Moonlight tour?) A true professional, he can handle a lot of styles, but in my opinion he is pretty stiff and boring. He has never really ROCKED. (The paradox is that the album STATIONTOSTATION rocks as hell. But Slick live is TOO much.) Gabrels did a lot together with Bowie and he helped him back on the right track musically, but I think it's hard to like a guy playing guitars without heads...

When will Bowie call Lloyd?

/Per