RE: (TV) VU's "Foggy Notion" as origin of TV's "Breakin'...."!/Bo wie+Verla ine+Vaughn

Richard L told me:

Television, while at first managed by Terry Ork, was sorta dubbed "the new velvet underground", and thats the kind of thing [ork] was after, having been part of the Factory entourage and all. [not verbatim]

--

I found the 'foggy notion' comment interesting because the first time i heard 'foggy notion' [about a year ago] i thought "wow, that *really* sounds like television."

>Most of us are aware how Television used to remove the batteries from Lou
Red's cassette when he came to see
>Television at CBGBs to prevent him from stealing songs (one writer even
claimed Verlaine would also deliberately >mumble/mangle the lyrics of
Television songs when Reed was in the audience).

I wasn't aware of that. That's a great story! There's a well-known picture
of Verlaine standing next to Reed, laughing.  Did Verlaine and Reed know
each other well? Was Reed a Television fan? Is Verlaine a Reed fan? Along
time ago, I used to hear that Verlaine was influenced by the Velvet
Underground, but I haven't heard anything about that in a while. Nor have I
ever read anything from Verlaine saying that he listened to/liked the VU.
Anyone know?

Cameron.