Re: (TV) A Manic Night

on 7/13/01 8:29 AM, Joe Hartley at jh@brainiac.com wrote:

> Ken Thompsen <joseph-k@swbell.net> wrote:
>> Never quit!! ;) After that last post, I got my guitar and played Venus all
>> the through and realized there were more parts to be corrected...Geez! I
>> think I finally got a good version going down now, but I'll wait a week or
>> so and see if anything else comes up. All those notes seem to be right, it's
>> just isn't the most convenient way of playing some of the parts.
>>
>> Anyway, have fun...I would have rather transcribed a guitar solo from Venus
>> when Tom played it live, but that's a pretty difficult thing...
>
> I've never been one to try and learn songs note-for-note, but instead
> try to take the framework and do my own thing with it.  It seems like
> blasphemy with TV sometimes, but it'll work.
>
> Regarding guitar amps, I've been fortunate enough to have an Ampeg
> Reverberocket2 as my primary amp for about 20 years now, though for
> a loooong time I had to put it in storage at a friend's place, and I'd
> only use it a couple of times per year.  (That changed last week when I
> started setting up the studio space in my new house!  Hooray!)  That amp
> has a wonderfully clear tone to it, and a _great_ reverb - the best I've
> ever heard in an amp.
>
> Back when I recorded Prove It for the Test Patterns disk
> (http://tv.obbard.com/tribute/), I didn't have many tools at my disposal;
> I had the guitar, a Pignose amp, and a number of effects that could be
> patched into my recording software.  I listen now to that track and I
> hear stuff that makes me cringe (no, I won't tell you what they are!).
> I think parts of it really suffered because I didn't have a real amp to
> mic.  I've been tempted to re-record Prove It, but it's better to just
> move on.  If I revisited all my past mistakes, I'd never advance!!

Well, unfortunately, I haven't yet taken the time to look into Test Patterns
(but I'm on it right away!)...About doing your own thing with someone else's
song, I agree with you...I usually do the same. I was pretty bored last
night though, so I figured I'd give it a try...About gear: Feel lucky, I
don't have much at all...Well, I'm just beginning to. I used to have that
disease where one always ends up selling their prized possesions...If I
never sold a guitar here, a guitar there, you know, I'd have an arsenal now!
Anyway, I just bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, I'm holding on to a cheap
Strat, and just bought a Jazz Bass...Nothing to record onto though...My
computer is fairly old, and I'm low on funds. I've learned my lesson
though...I'm holding on to whatever I've got.