Re: (TV) A Manic Night

on 7/13/01 10:01 AM, Joe Hartley at jh@brainiac.com wrote:

> Ken Thompsen <joseph-k@swbell.net> wrote:
>> Anyway, I just bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, I'm holding on to a cheap
>> Strat, and just bought a Jazz Bass...Nothing to record onto though...My
>> computer is fairly old, and I'm low on funds. I've learned my lesson
>> though...I'm holding on to whatever I've got.
>
> I happen to think that the new Mexican Fender stuff is great for the
> price.  I have a MexiStrat, and I just bought my son a MIM Jazz bass.
> Someone of Richard's caliber might be able to tell the difference, but
> it doesn't matter to me!
>
> I had a 4-track cassette deck for years, and when I went over to
> recording on the computer, it was wonderful!  I did it on the cheap,
> of course - a decent $50 sound card (Turtle Beach Montego, in my case)
> and the n-Track software (http://www.ntrack.com/).

You're right, for the price their great guitars. Right now though, I've set
my eyes on those new Custom Shop Fenders (not so custom anymore), the
Showmasters or whatever...They've got all the appointments of the best
Strats, etc..but in my opinion they look better (and better than what they
were trying to copy...that Jackson/Ibanez look). The only thing that
disappoints me about a cheap Fender (or an old one) is the tremolo unit.
They don't really work. The usual alternative, the Floyd Rose tremolo is
just stupid looking if you ask me. So, expensive Fenders have a much more
workable system: roller nut, locking tuners, etc..

Anyway, if I didn't use a tremolo, my standards would drastically change.