From: Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk>
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 10:52 AM
Subject: (TV) vat ees VDGG?

In message <F135jQHtMFaukyCKDkb0000253f@hotmail.com>, Eric Veillette
<ericgv@hotmail.com> writes

>Forgive my ignorance, but vat ees Van Der Graf Generator?

Well, there's a question. English band centred round Peter Hammill which
started in the late 60s and died as a band somewhere in the late 70s.
Usually (incorrectly) consigned to the Prog-Rock category by people who
couldn't hear much beyond the fact that they could actually play their
instruments. Dense, intense, obsessive/obsessed music: often beautiful;
often scary; often self-indulgent from the point of view of PH's lyrical
concerns (why sing about cars and girls when you can talk about life,
the universe and everything?); moments of heart-stopping, hairs-rising-
on-the-back-of-your-neck shock; long songs about madness, religion,
love, betrayal, the speed of light and just about everything else; short
songs about the same; very little rock'n'roll as we know it; jazzy,
sharp drumming; saxophones; fractured guitars; sometimes a bass; heavy
organs and bass pedals.

Hammill has been making albums ever since - not many people have been
buying them.

If you want to know more, let me know.

Keith