(TV) Heylin/Option Mag Interview/Wigs

Cameron Pulley wrote:

> I do remember it fairly well, however. *Verlaine never said he prefered the
pop music of Petula Clark over that of The Beatles.*  He merely made
reference to an essay by the late great pianist Glenn Gloud, who insisted
that Petula Clark's arrangements were far more complex than those of George
Martin/The Beatles.  When Tom was asked if he liked Clark's music, he said:
"No.  Not really." [sic]

 Yes, Cameron you are absolutely correct.  I am getting forgetful and a little sloppy in my old age (and lazy too----I should have reread my paper copy of the 1987 Option before posting away).

> Scott, I'm sorry to see your fanaticism waning so badly. For me, Heylin is akin
to the Bible.

>You know how people stand outside sporting events and carry signs that say
"John 3:16"? I stand outside concerts and carry a sign that reads "Heylin 2:14"
("And the tall skinny gaunt one did pull from the Rock the Fender; and upon the
Bowery did he christen the band Television, for it was a much better name than
the Neon Boys; and on parting the heavens over the Village the Lord gazed upon
them, and He spoke 'Whoa, you guys rock'..." etc)
--Philip

--- Scott Neukam <scottneukam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Check your library.  The library at school has a copy, and
> while the book is very good, it's not so great (in my
> opinion) that I need my own personal copy of.

Gotta agree with Philip.

Heylin's first book which I believe was his PhD thesis is also worth reading despite it's academic style------especially for any Richard Hell fanatics on list.  I can't remember the exact title -----it's something like "Punk:  The Substance of Style" or "The Deconstruction of Punk"  [can anyone on list help me out here].    He quotes/references Hell a lot and his main idea is that writer Jean Genet was used as a role model by many punks like Hell and P. Smith.

"Smith's second great literary passion, for the French criminal, political activist and novelist Jean Genet, began to define her writing and describe her own experience of attempting to write in and about a state of near vagrancy. Genet's writing, like Smith's, was driven by a desire to live in opposition to social orthodoxy, and to confirm an outlaw status through a life of degradation. His criminality, as well as his prose, articulated a deeply moral view of society, in which his homosexuality and his sexual fantasies became parables of personal, artistic and political freedom. As such, he was the perfect patron saint for Mapplethorpe and Smith's artistic union." [Not a Heylin quote, but stolen from a Smith web site]

	Leo

PS:  Philip, just don't show up at any of the PGA events I watch on tv as I don't want to be subjected to your stinkin' "Heylin 2:14" signs and your multicolored wig!

"She bought a wig /  it was all scrunched up"