Re: (TV) The New Yorker / Future of Pop / Nick Hornby

Oh is THIS the game we're going to play??

--- "Casey, Leo J" <CaseyL@VOLPE.DOT.GOV> wrote:
> PS:  As a bonus this double issue of The New Yorker also
> contains a strong piece by our beloved MM Listmaster and
> Television maven, Philip, in which he delineates the band's
> history and reviews its Chicago gig.

I wish!

I agree that "High Fidelity" is too feel-good; I enjoyed the book but felt the
ending sucks flat-out - it's a male fantasy. Also, inserting the well-known
urban legend about the husband running off with a young woman and instructing
his wife to send the proceeds from the sale of his car/house/beloved music
collection was pretty lame on Hornby's part.

> To get back on topic:  Although Hornby does not explicitly
> mention Television or Verlaine (I'd really be stunned if he's ever
> listened to them in his life)

I wouldn't be. I assume Hornby's novel "About a Boy" lifts its title from Patti
Smith's song of the same name (both the song and the book deal with Kurt
Cobain, who wrote "About a Girl"). If he's listened to Patti Smith's GONE
AGAIN, he's at least *heard* Verlaine, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's
listened to him, too.

--Philip