(TV) Hornby & Verlaine: I'm Wrong / Should have included qualifier

> To get back on topic:  Although Hornby does not explicitly
> mention Television or Verlaine
[ *in the August New Yorker piece* ] emphasis added post facto
> (I'd really be stunned if he's ever listened to them in his life),
> the future limned in this piece is a future with no room for
> their music.

Philip replied:
> I wouldn't be. I assume Hornby's novel "About a Boy"
> lifts its title from Patti Smith's song of the same name
>  (both the song and the book deal with Kurt Cobain,
> who wrote "About a Girl"). If he's listened to Patti Smith's
> GONE AGAIN, he's at least *heard* Verlaine, so I wouldn't
>  be surprised if he's listened to him, too.

Eric V replied:
> I'm certain he has.

> In the novel High Fidelity, Rob's former flame Charlie
>  is said to have "put on a Television t-shirt."

OK, you guys have got me!

	Leo

PS:  My pitiful defense:
"In my original e-mail I had included the qualifying
adverb 'carefully', but then later deleted it from
" .... stunned if he's ever listened carefully to them in his life ..."
as I thought it too verbose.

PPS:  Carefully diagram with parallel and sloping
connected-lines the grammar (as sometimes was
required by grade school teachers) of the following
 sentence:
I had an ex-flame, who sometimes wore a "Cocteau Twins"
t-shirt; I, however, never listened to that band.