(TV) The Wonder (Greek)

Not sure if this negative review/opinion quote has
ever been posted on MM List before (I actually
saw this a couple of years ago), but it is presently
part of  a description of the "The Wonder" on e-bay.

All  lovers or defenders of "The Wonder",  just
remember I didn't write this.

	Leo

PS:  Honesty (or foolish indiscreetness?) forces me
to admit that I partially agree about the drumming.
The Wonder" is not one of my "all-time favorite" TV
solo albums, but "favorite" is a "relative" term here
since I like them all---just some more than others.

"This album, brought out after a second three-year
release hiatus, is noticeably less successful than
 prior efforts. Verlaine here sings in a smooth, oily
manner (suggesting a smarmy version of Bryan
Ferry) that does not wear well over the course of the
album. All the selections here feature upfront, often
thudding drumming - whether the number warrants
it or not. Some potentially good material gets
ill-considered treatment here; "Prayer" might have been
haunting and warm, "Pillow" could have been touchingly
expressive, and "August" might have been subtly intriguing
except for the drumbeat and vocals imposed upon them.
There's no shortage of dance-style, often funk-oriented
selections here, such as "Kaleidoscopin'," "Shimmer,"
"5 Hours from Calais," and "Ancient Egypt" (this last
has a flailing nonsense guitar solo akin to that of the
McCoys' 1960s garage-band hit "Hang On Sloopy").
"Stalingrad" is a reasonably earnest, direct number
that is rather unusual in Verlaine's body of work.
This release is a real disappointment and I
unfortunately cannot recommend it."