From: "Philip P. Obbard" <pobbard@yahoo.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) OT: I don't tell if this is bad or not, but...
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:55:49 -0700 (PDT)

As far as I can tell, this is true. Clear Channel, the largest radio station
owner in the US (1100+ stations), has just pre-emptively banned any
"suggestive" songs. Included are songs about war, the word "Tuesday", etc. For
example:

Bangles "Walk Like an Egyptian"
Peter Paul and Mary "Blowin' in the Wind"
Rolling Stones "Ruby Tuesday"
The Beatles "Ticket To Ride"
The Beatles "Obla Di, Obla Da"
Buddy Holly and the Crickets "That'll Be the Day"
John Lennon "Imagine"
Cat Stevens "Morning Has Broken"
Peter and Gordon "A World Without Love"
Elvis "(You're the) Devil in Disguise"
Jerry Lee Lewis "Great Balls of Fire"
Elton John "Benny & The Jets"
Elton John "Daniel"
Elton John "Rocket Man"
Surfaris "Wipeout"

I could not make this up if I tried. I guess we can always do with less Elton
John.

Maurice Rickard notes that curious absence of the Cure's "Killing an Arab",
which was widely banned during the Gulf War.

A full list is at http://www.fuckedcompany.com/extras/clearchannel_email.cfm

--Philip