Re: (TV) Re: OT: You know, reading this list hasn't been half as fun since last Tuesday...

An hour ago I made a phone interview with Graham Parker from his home near Woodstock, upstate New York, and he kept coming back to the terrorist attack all the time. He's about to go on tour with The Figgs but he really didn't had his heart into it, or how he put it. His friend and former drummer from The Rumour, Steve Goulding (feautured on the new GP record "Deepcut to nowhere"), lives downtown Manhattan, so Parker was horrified when he heard last Tuesday's news on the radio during a car ride to Boston to rehearse with The Figgs. One of the last things he said to me was that one could only hope that music can somewhat heal the pain after last Tuesday's events.

He sounded as a really nice person, and he's my all time favourite artist, apart from the TV gang; he's probably friendlier than any of them, too. On an early stage of our talk I mentioned that I hadn't any idea about what his new book was about, but that I had read his first, "The great trouser mystery" (1980). On a later stage a wondered if he ever considered to write a song called "I'll never play Malmv again", because there's a song on the new release called "I'll never play Jacksonville again", about a trip to a concert in Florida. Those who listen to the tune will find the lyrics quite nightmarish, but the story behind it all made me laugh out loud: He came with his guitar to this joint during a rain storm at midnight, and there was this warming-up-singer who sounded like Neil Young in the verses and Johnny Rotten in the choruses. "I thought: either the audience really like this or they are idiots, or both", Parker said. Song after song after song sounded like that. There were two couple and one mental case in there. The couples didn't sat next to each other. The nuthead wandered around in the place, stood in front of one of the girls and inspected her legs, and then wandered around some more. When he took a second look at the girls' legs, her partner headbanged him. The staff joinded the outraged boyfriend and participated in the beating. Through all this, GP sang and played his songs at maximum speed so he could get out from there as fast as possible.

This horror gig in Florida was much worse than the one in Malmv back in '93 or '94. Then he was to play an acoustic concert in a place called Heartbreak Hotel, and the thing is, at that particlar gig in Malmv I approached him with the first published book and got him to sign it for me. All of a sudden GP said, "Now I remember! A huge country & western style place, with almost no audience at all!" "That's right", I responded. And then he said: "Was that you with my book?"

Leif J, Sweden