(TV) Well...

posted in TV# 494, I add the following (not ot, but here I can express
myself freely without getting shot by some "patriot").
I found the attack to be truly abhorant, and yes, it demands "justice",
but I find the frenzy of the public utterly frightening.  Am I the only
one to see the spector of "1984" here, with the instantly designated
enemy, the media-orchestrated moments of hatred mixed with sorrow mixed
with lets-all-be-united-and-wallow-in-our-trauma, jr. prez making the
most of an opportunity not to look like the befuddled asshole he truly
is and, "make no mistake about it", failing miserably (would you really
trust this guy to wage a barbeque let alone a war?).
Don't get me wrong, I pray for the dead, I grieve for the family &
friends, and I'm all for efforts that make all (I include everyone here
- our English and Swedish friends, European, Asian, and Arab friends as
well, since the threat affects us all) of us better human beings instead
of cretins -- I just have to be skeptical when I get the feeling we're
being manipulated.  I get dumbfounded & pissed when I hear "normal"
folks talk about thrashing some guy because "he's from 'over there'";
or when a neighbor states that I'm not patriotic because I'm not flying
the flag (while we're standing behind my car with the "combat-wounded
veteran" license plate); or when our attorney-general (the last
Confederate general) tells us that in order to protect me he has to
suspend my civil liberties.
I fought with the Marines in Vietnam: it infuriates me to hear the
clamor for war when it comes from those who not only have no fucking
clue what war is, but know damn well they ain't going to have to fight
in it!
If it was up to me (there's an amusing thought!), it'd go down like
this: develop positive intel (money buys you ANYTHING), then take-out
the guilty, including those who are working on becoming guilty.  I can't
see killing some ordinary joe Afghani bustin' his ass trying to feed his
family just because Ofuckme bin laden bought-off the Taliban and is
using his inheritance to make the world more horrible than it is.  And
I'd also take-out the Taliban while I was at it, for all the horrors
inflicted on their own people.
I'll shut-up in a moment.  Just need to say that shit happens, even bad
shit, but life grinds on.  For the sake of all who've died, as well as
for those of us still here, pick yourself back up and get on with the
business of living.  We'll be joining the departed again eventually.

Don Mallen

(while it's still up to me, I'd also declare Television to be a national
treasure, Tom Verlaine to be poet-laureate, the Star Spangled Banner as
performed by Jimi Hendrix to preceed all sports events, and marijuana to
be not only legal but mandatory)