Re: (TV) Alex Chilton

My Alex Chilton story:
It's the late 80's early 90's...  Alex is touring the county fairs and
tractor pulls circuit with a version of the Box Tops (!) complete with an
annoying MC-slash-backup singer guy.   He is booked to play a suburban park
near me on the same evening as the wedding of a close friend of mine.   The
reception begins to die down, so sloshed to the gills, I drag the spouse and
a couple of friends to the park, which was all of 10 minutes walk away, to
catch the show.  It's an awful set-up: the stage is one of those tin can
trailers-on-wheels thingies and my 60 watt home stereo put the sound system
to shame.  Though it saddened me to see the great man reduced to these
circumstances, I could not resist the urge to shout for Big Star songs, which
were clearly NOT on the set-list that night.  Alex gets a bit rattled when he
sees a party of four drunks, all in fancy evening dress, heckling him from
stage left.  After about the third request for Daisy Glaze, the compere
fellow puts down his tambourine, leaves the stage, and comes down to tell us,
politely I must say, to shut the f*** up and that Alex would be sticking to
Box Tops songs.  In my best Foster Brooks imitation, I replied that the
geriatric lawn chair brigade present would possibly remember "The Letter,"
but that Alex should just kick the rest of his band off the stage, such as it
was, and play an acoustic set of Big Star and solo songs.  The guy is about
to lunge at me.... and Alex plays a single chorus of September Gurls, as if
to say "Happy?  Now shut up!!"   We were, and we did.