(TV) KHosannas to Gregg/ Willie Redux /

Greg,

That was great; I believe you've hit the nail right on
the head -----give yourself an A+.

	Leo

PS:  For Willie: The album "MM" was for all intents and
purposes recorded mostly live----one or two takes
---there's not a lot of production---that of course is why it
has the live feel that you seem to love so much.

Willie said: "of course, i use mm, *adventure*, and tv as
verifying points, but the rest of the albums, although
extraordinary in songwriting and musicianship,
lacks the realness, or organic quality, of the earlier work.

But "Adventure" and Verlaine's first solo record surely
have MORE production-----in fact, "I'd claim "Adventure" is
the 'most produced' Television/TV record of all-time (note that
I did not say 'over produced').

The later TV solo records have lots of production values.
But that doesn't mean they "suffer from some kind of
production" or that "these albums could use a more 'live'
sounding production?!"

Hey Willie--I think you're missing one of the main facets of
Verlaine's music:  Verlaine loved/loves to treat the production
studio as George Martin did----as an additional instrument---
he uses it like a palette!

Now, nobody's saying that you can't prefer as little (minimum)
production as possible---but what I do strongly object to is your
assertions (both explicit and implicit) that if a person doesn't
like the amount or sound of TV's production, ergo that music
suffers, or the production is defined by you for the rest of us
"cheesy", "shitty" or "questionable."

One of the things I love about most Verlaine solo records
and Television albums is their great production----albeit there's
an occasional drum/synthesized drum track or vocal with
sibilants (and I'll grant you the production on "Cover" and "The
Wonder" turns some people off).

Again, I think Gregg was on the mark--in judging the
production of a record one has to take into consideration
the (historical) context of when they were made.
Yes---some compromises and overtures were made
in the productions towards some sort of desire for radio-play
MTV rotation.

Verlaine's "Dreamtime" is akin to Hendrix's first couple of
records in that without their production values/multi-tracking
(which IMHO are goddamn brilliant!) they wouldn't sound as
good or be the works of art they are. (A lot of us like hearing
Verlaine battle against three versions of himself thru his genius
of multi-tracking guitar parts.

I don't see how you[Willie] can  claim to actually like
Television and TV's  later solo stuff if you don't like their
production---and I'm not talking about the steeling yourself
after years of painful listening to their production that doesn't
count.  How can you claim to like, e.g., "Dreamtime" but not
like it's production---I say it's nigh near impossible to be able to
separate the music from the production on this album----they are
inseparable and the two together have a synergistic effect.

I was thinking of ending with a paraphrase of a quote ("One
man's poison is another man's food"), but then I'd be dishonest
in inferring that it's all subjective, and that this is just all a matter
of taste.

	Leo