Re: (TV) albums you are ashamed

I share Russ's affection for AM radio pop. I can't help it; I'm of the right age. Used to listen to WABC in NY on my tiny transistor radio that hung from my bedpost as I was falling asleep. The original "Venus" absolutely is a great song (even if I did always wonder as a child, "Is she singing, 'I'm your penis'?"); the coldness of the singer's delivery is strangely appealing. Other cheesy/poppy songs of that era that I still get a kick out of: "Brandy," by Looking Glass, and "Dancing in the Moonlight," by King Harvest; "Hey There, Lonely Girl," by Eddie Holman; "Build Me Up Buttercup," later covered by David Johansen and revived by the "There's Something About Mary" soundtrack. I just about never listen to it, but I do own a Bread best-of. I could go on and on....

And I still have some fondness for "Frampton," the album Petey-boy was touring for during the recording of "Frampton Comes Alive." First rock concert I ever went to was in fact a Frampton/Dave Mason double-bill at Madison Square Garden. My best friend and I thought Frampton had the "cleanest" guitar tone and seemed like just the nicest guy besides. This is the same friend who later turned me on to the Sex Pistols and the Clash. (Another high school friend once said, "Peter Frampton is such a nice guy that if he walked down the hall right now I'd be willing to fellate him" - a rather striking statement for a presumably heterosexual boy in 1975 or so.) The somewhat rockier tunes like "(I'll Give You) Money" and "Nowhere's Too Far for My Baby" retain some of their charm.

But I never, ever liked Chicago. You have to draw the line somewhere.

- Jesse

I have plenty of records that I think I might be ashamed of mentioning to
this particular peer group ( which I'll share with you when I compile the
list) however one musical guilty pleasure for me ( since the advent of
Napster ) has been  to track down my favorite bubble gum songs from the
sixties and seventies. Here's a quick list:

Love Grows Where My Rose Marie Goes - Edison Lighthouse, '68*
Sweet Pea - Tommy Roe, '66
Hanky Panky - Tommy James and the Shondells, '64
Go All the Way - The Raspberries , '72
Yummy Yummy Yummy - Ohio Express, '70
Venus (the other one) - SHocking Blue,'69
Indiana Wants Me - (?), '71-ish
Me and You and A Dog named Boo - Lobo - '71
Fire (?) - Kenny Rogers and the first Edition ( yes ole Kenny was a rocker
before he was a gambler).,'68

to name but a few - ahhhh to be eight again ;)

This of course is all trashy music but sometimes it feels and sounds so good
! I doubt people of the future will be as nostalgic for the trash that ends
up on the top forty now a days.

* dates are estimated

- - Russ