Re: (TV) Snares - Visconti -76!

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Per Rosin wrote:

> > >(For me the gated snare first appeared on Low and it sounded really
> > >innovative and BIG. But who really invented it, I don't remember? Anyone
> > >knows? Was it Phil Collins in his Brand X days, or...?)
> > >
> >Steve Lillywhite and Peter Gabriel on PG's third album (according to
> >Bibi, anyway, in her Stones story)
> >-------------
>
> Don't think so. Havn't read Bibis' story, but Low was recorded in -76 and
> released in early -77. Gabriels 3rd was released in -80.

Mark Cunningham's book pins the credit (or blame) on Hugh Padgham, Peter
Gabriel and Phil Collins. The track is "Intruder" from Peter Gabriel's
third solo album (melting face cover).
According to the book, Padgham discovered the sound and played it back
to Collins over his headphones. Collins played along with the release of
the noise gate. Gabriel heard it and had Collins record five minutes of
it. Then Gabriel wrote "Intruder" around the drums.
Finally, it was the drum fill halfway through "In The Air Tonight"
from Collin's first solo record that made the sound so popular.