RE: (TV) Re: clean guitar tone

Per Rosen wrote:

Concerning distortion it's
been there since the first amps and electric guitars, it just depends on if
you crank the amp or not. Who invented it? Maybe some obscure bluesguy. Of
course there are other ways to get other kinds of distortion, preamps,
fuzzboxes or holes in the speakers.

One famous early example of guitar distortion that no one's mentioned is Link Wray's "Rumble" (the name itself refers to the distortion), which was the inspiration for the opening of Richard Thompson's "Shoot Out the Lights." I think that was distortion produced by a damaged speaker cone, though, not amp distortion. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

- Jesse