Re: (TV) Clean tone/Beat Willie to Death/ Leo Threatens To Write Essay on "Dreamtime's" Genesis & Production/Q for Maurice

At 1:24 PM -0400 10/3/01, Casey, Leo J wrote:
I would argue that 'production' includes ALL choices of
instruments and (other) technology---including, in fact
especially, tube equipment or selection of a particular
recording studio for its 'sound'; etc.. etc.), that is made by
the musician/producer

I think you may be lumping arrangement in with production here. Certainly they're related, but I'd call the arrangement the decision about which instruments (tones of instruments) play what, although production is about aesthetic choices as well. Getting the tones on tape is engineering. ("How many producers does it take to screw in a light bulb?" "I dunno, what do you think?")

Dreamtime's arrangements are indeed thick with guitars, which is one of the things I like about it. The songs could have been cut with, say, just guitar and voice, but the denser arrangement (guitars, keyboards, etc.) is a real pleasure.

PPS: To Maurice:  Just curious--Are any of the sibilant problems
on the vocals and other possible production deficiencies
(bad sounding synth-stuff?) on "Cover" ameliorated by listening
to vinyl versions?

I really can't say--all I'm going on _is_ the vinyl version, probably first pressing. I have no idea if the CD sounds worse, but it wouldn't surprise me, given that it probably wasn't remastered specifically for CD. For the sibilance problems, just listen to any "s," "sh," or "f" phonemes in the vocals. I seem to recall that Tom's also a "p" popper on some of these, too, but I'll listen to it to check. Wonder what microphone he used for the vocals...

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/