Re: (TV) albums you are ashamed

--- Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com> wrote:
> First, PLEASE do not include 80 lines of a previous message to add
> 2 lines to the top of it - it's quite rude, especially to our digest
> readers.

Yes yes! This goes for every: you must SELECTIVELY QUOTE if you quote messages
at all!

My shame-of-the-day is that last night I downloaded MP3s, and made a CD of,
Brian Wilson's unreleased-for-a-very-good-reason solo LP SWEET INSANITY. I've
been listening to it at work today. I was and am a big fan of Brian's first
solo LP, from 1988, but when I first heard SWEET INSANITY in 1993 I could not
understand what the hell happened. Terrible lyrics, half-baked melodies, crap
production. Sire was smart to reject it (twice!). I put it away and didn't play
it again for years, except to get a rise out of people by playing the truly
surreal "Smart Girls".

But, you know, listening to it today - maybe my standards have slipped, or my
memory of the album was soooooooo low - it doesn't sound half as bad as I
remembered. Of course, "half as bad as I remembered" probably still registers
as "atrocious" on the quality scale, but it's not unlistenable anymore. Even
the more bizarre aspects - Brian's forced self-confessional lyrics on "Thank
You", Bob Dylan's unnecessary cameo, a middle-age man singing "Hotter", Brian
plundering his dead brother's back catalog for "Someone to Love" - don't seem
nearly as horrific to me now as they did 8 years ago.

My brain recognizes that this album is still crap of an exquisitely undistilled
variety, but somehow, strangely, I feel compelled to keep listening to a record
where one of the icons of modern American music actually performs a *rap* with
lines like "Big brains are awesome, dude!"

But it makes me wonder: am I getting soft? Will I be grooving to "Best of My
Love" and "Take It Easy" before the week is through??

I hope you all still respect me after this message. I'm really opening myself
up, people.

--Philip

(P.S. For the diehards out there, I am listening to the second rejected version
of the LP, which is definitely 'better' than the first - but it this same
version I first heard in 1993, too.)