From: "Dan Jones" <dnljns@hotmail.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Bowery Ballroom show?
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 16:14:21

Morning y'all

Just going to quickly dash off my impressions of Sunday's show.

Firstly, I really enjoyed it, yes, it was ramshackle and done on the spur of
the moment, but that kind of situation seems to really suit Verlaine, he
seemed to be really enjoying himself, kind of giggling and chortling to
himself throughout the set, mistakes and all.

It was also pretty cool that some of the new songs were the real high spots
of the set, namely "Wicked Charms" and the instrumental that followed it,
which sounded vaguely egyptian to me, were the aural equivalent of a David
Lynch film. Which leads me to wonder when any of this stuff will actually be
released, you know, I want to hear some of this music again.

I actually thought Alan Licht was a pretty good foil for Verlaine, he had a
more chunky chord sound that fit well with what was going on. Didn't the
bassist play on "Warm and Cool"? The band seemed pretty uncertain sometimes,
like on "One Time at Sundown", but on the newer songs they seemed much more
solid. "Words From the Front" was also a very timely revival for the
occasion. I'm always struck by the way Verlaine is happy to improvise lyrics
as well as music, I can't think of many performaners that would dare to do
that onstage.

And was it just me, or was Verlaine's playing a lot more frenetic and hot
than it has been in a while? Maybe he should throw together a pick-up band
more often if it is going to result in shows like this :-)