(TV) U-2 / Bunnymen / "The Verlaines" / It's Yonki Time!

Was it Robert Christgau who remarked cleverly
(smart-alecally?) that U-2 were good, and all
they lacked were some songs?  Yes, that was
probably in hindsight unfair of Christagau.

I do like some of the "old" U-2
(say most stuff until roughly Zooropa[sic?]),
a great deal, but I find many of their song
titles and some lyrics stick in my craw---l
leadenly pretentious, verbose, or cliched-ridden.

I remember many years ago when the arc of
Echo and the Bunnymen's career was heading
downward and U-2's popularity had rocketed
past theirs.  Bunnymen Ian McCullough and
Will Sergeant[(sp?] in an interview showed
their total jealousy (which they tried---but failed
---to disguise as simple loathing for U-2's music).

I had previously investigated Echo and the
Bunnymen's' music as they were compared by
several 80s' critics as having been influenced or
having a guitar sound akin to Television.  I was
sadly disappointed after I bought them, and have
since sold them all (except for a guilty pleasure---
a copy Ian McCullough's 1986 solo album for its
sickening sweet song "Just Like Sugar", but with
some nice? guitar work).  My girlfriend (who had
actually seen the Bunnymen (and Verlaine
many times) live, asserted that Will Sergeant
was equal if not superior to Verlaine as a guitarist.
We broke up not over this remark, but I remember
thinking that judgement of hers was foolish in the
extreme.

On another topic:  I have always been slightly
puzzled at the MM List members (including
the MM Archives pre-my joining, which I once
read over a one-week span) neglecting to
mention/comment on the late 80s-90s' group,
"The Verlaines".  I also checked out a couple of
their records and thought they were awful; maybe
that's why no one ever mentioned them on the
MM list?

Last but not least: "Yonki Time" is meant as a
goof and a spoof---Verlaine is poking fun at the
serious, "arty" aspects of most of the lyrics of
the pre-1979 Television and of his 1979 solo
record itself.

To quote Milo Miles in the 1979 Boston Phoenix
who explains it better than I ever could:

"Yonki Time" is the most outrageous
juxtaposition of angles. Over a fragmented,
calliope-tinged rhythm, Verlaine strings
a series of lyrics ("so nice, to meetcha,
isn't it ... guess I'll take the garbage out ... uh,
what time did you say it was?") while a droll
chorus snorts, coughs, whistles, and shouts
,"It's Yonki Time!" The number is less charged
 than the other cuts with superhero guitar, but
 it's still insistent - light because sober Verlaine
 is pulling an out-and-out gag, but also tense
because the call-and-response voices suggest
 a nervous straight surrounded by threatening
pinheads. As the song lurches along, it's clear
that Verlaine is parodying himself (the
impassioned  poet reduced to non sequitur
small talk) - that it is Verlaine behind the
pinhead masks mocking his own sense of
control. "

But I'm with you all the way, Scott, on the
"Rocket" which I have always maintained was
musical filler necessitated by Tom running out
of Television songs in the studio.

	Leo

PS:  I  have a fantasy that if I ever met Verlaine
in person I'd utter either, " So nice, to meetcha",
or "My name is Leo, and I have a Masters in
Verlaine Studies."