(TV) quine tapes

Hi Phil & Televisios,

I ran out to pick up a copy of the Quine Tapes on Tuesday - it was even on sale for $25 (Thanks Plan 9 / Richmond). I'm not a great aficionado of VU bootlegs at all, just a garden variety fanatic. First off, the sound quality, for something recorded on a hand held cassette recorder in the 60's for crissake, is amazingly good. Serious audiophiles would disagree no doubt, but the main draw (as they say) is in the songs and performances - Lou and co. at the zenith of their powers...as on 'The Blow Up', the sound is merely sufficient to get the message across. Sterling Morrison used to lament that the '1969' live album wasn't a good reflection of the band's live shows at the time, because it was a small room and they couldn't play too loud. Well Sterling would approve of this one! There are three various approaches to 'Sister Ray', each clocking in between 20 and 40 minutes long...a new (to me) song called 'Follow The Leader' (yeah I know Lou did a version on Rock'n'Roll Heart), my favorite moment is when Moe Tucker comes up to the front of the stage to sing 'Afterhours' and 'I'm Sticking With You'- gorgeous stuff. Many flashes of guitar brilliance as you would expect, and great 'singing' from Lou. Some amusing between songs conversation...("Now I'd like to intradose...I mean, introduce...ha ha ..an INTERVENOUS dose...")It's a lot to take in at one sitting. You know, if you like the Velvet Underground at all, you should hear this - somebody famous (Duchamp? I wouldn't put it past him) once said, 'Art is news that stays news.' and the same goes for music from a band like this, it continues to surprise you.