Re: (TV) "A whole lot more than Chairman Mao"

--- Scott Neukam <scottneukam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Listening to "The Last Time" for the first time (no joke
> intended), and was wondering... am I hearing things or does
> Verlaine sing "And it's a whole lot more than Chairman Mao"
> in See No Evil (last verse)??

I'll have to listen to be sure, but on early versions of other MARQUEE MOON
songs, Tom was prone to display his fascination with 20th Chinese political
history. For example, an early version of "Venus" includes lines about "And
Richie, Richie said / Hey man let's dress up like Nationalist troops / Think of
what we could do". And in "Guiding Light", he often sang "Oh no, can't pull a
trick / Never a revolution without Chiang Kai-Shek".

And then, of course, Verlaine suggested the name adopted by Gang of Four.

--Philip