Re: (TV) Heylin/Warm & Cool

--- The Barman <cregan@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> Sorry, I can't find my copy. Look up "MC5" in the index.
>
> Don't get me wrong - the fact that someone tried to write a definitive
> overview of the NY scene (and had it published) is great. It's just that
> incredibly stupid inaccuracies like this devalue the whole thing.

Yeah, but the ONLY place I see Fred Smith and Fred 'Sonic' Smith confused is in
the index - only a single entry appears for "Fred 'Sonic' Smith", and it seems
to point to pages with references to Fred Smith or Fred 'Sonic' Smith. But
authors rarely if ever do their own indexing; it's often provided by the
publisher.

Besides, reading ANY book by the index is bound to be confusing.

In the text, Heylin is quite clear. For example, see page 278, which says,
"[Patti Smith] moved in with ex-MC5 guitarist Fred 'Sonic' Smith", as opposed
to page 156 (for example) which refers to "bassist Fred Smith" during a passage
on the Stillettoes. Heylin is, in fact, quite careful to keep the two straight;
compare the chapter on the MC5 (chapter 3) to the one where Smith replaces Hell
in Television (chapter 11).

I could understand how a reader could be confused by having two "Fred Smith"s
in the same text (although never in the same chapter, I think), but I don't
think Heylin is the slightest bit confused by it himself (and I never got
confused by it when I first read the book, either, even though I was only dimly
aware of either Fred Smith at the time).

--Philip