(TV) OT: Scott Aldrich's band

Hi all,

Although he's not on the list at the moment, many of you know/remember Scott
Aldrich, Television fan (you can search the list's archives for some his
eloquent posts ruminating on music). Anyhow, Scott is busy these days with a
band called American Ambulance. I finally got to see them play last night, at
Rodeo Bar in NYC, and they are fantastic. I was genuinely impressed.

Scott is the lead guitarist, and he did more than a little Richard
Lloyd/Byrds/RUBBER SOUL-style work to accompany the frontman/rhythm guitarist,
mixed in with lots of sharp solos and some slinky slide guitar. The band's
material is mostly country/western, although some punkier influences crept in,
and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding" popped up at the
end of the show, with Scott singing a verse. (Scott also snuck a guitar quote
from "Venus" in a song at the end of the first set - I guess this post isn't
completely OT after all).

The band was tight, polished, and the original material was enjoyable. I'd
recommend them to anyone looking for a good live show in the NYC area. You can
listen to some MP3s (or buy their CD, which I'm listening to now - also
excellent) at www.ambulanceband.com. I'll probably be seeing them again this
Friday at C Note in the East Village
(http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7098748/); they're playing at midnight.

--Philip