(TV) Mercury Rev....Actually better after all these years!

Hello all,  For what is my second posting, just never get enough time to do
it!

Somebody has got to defend the Rev here,  The first few Rev albums are indeed
hard listening and offer few rewards.  I even witnessed Mercury Rev live at
the start of their tour to promote Deserter's Songs supporting Bob Mould and I
was not that impressed, the best thing they did that night was a cover of
Galaxie 500's "Parking Lot".  I then heard a track on the Radio and thought it
was worth investigating further.  Deserter's Songs turned out to be a rich
tapestry full of wonderful songs,  Jonathan Donahue does have a distinctive
voice, whilst not in the classic vocalist category it is not without it's
charm.  Pretty much what I would say about Verlaine's vocals and Richard
Thompson's for that matter!  As always it is a matter of taste but I would
recommend both Deserter's Songs and All is Dream,  you have just got to stick
with them they are growers!

The same thing has happened for me with the Strokes,  dissmissed them at first
but you cannot escape the at the moment and they do grow on you,  although I
do think the LP is a one trick pony and by midway you have heard all their is
to hear.  Black Rebel Motorcycle Club from what I have heard so far sound very
much like the Jesus and Mary Chain turned into after Phschocandy.  The problem
for me personally is that now at the tender age of 37 their is a rich musical
heritage behind me and it is getting harder to impress me without thinking
that sounds like so and so.  God, I'm turning cynical in my old age!

One person who has Impressed me more and more with each LP is Joe Henry,  his
last 3 LP's are worth checking out, "Scar", "Fuse" and "Trampoline" each one
different from the last . Highly recommended!  As is Sparklehorse, who in my
opinion have influenced Radiohead more than they would ever admit.

Steve Pittaway