(TV) Re: TV Digest V1 #573

Very good for you to disagree, Jay! And respectfully, too, no less. Very considerate on your part. I'd guess I'd better just get right to it: Peter Laughner are all hit/miss with me. On almost everything I've heard featuring him, his guitar playing usually isn't too interesting, his lyrics are mildly interesting at best, and his voice...well, it's just too coarse for me. Which is a shame: the guy had a good sense of melody most of the time, and his voice just really ain't a singing voice suited towards that kind of material. I give him credit for his boosterism of the Cleveland scene, and the fact that all he ever seemed to be genuinely bent on was playing music in some way/shape/form. It can't be denied that without him, lots of stuff probably wouldn't have happened out there in the seventies...but in terms of his actual song output, I really can't hold too much respect. "Amphetamine", "Dear Richard", and "Cinderella Backstreet" are the three songs of his that I actually like; the others just strike me as n
othing too interesting...particularly lyrically. There's just no sense of sophistication to them, which (for me, anyway) almost always seems necessary when you've got a really good, moving melody.

(and as far as the TV/Hell "covers" go, it probably doesn't help that the lyrics on the originals are infinitely better)

Never the less, I'm not saying I loathe Laughner. I just think he's much more interesting as a historical figure than a singer/songwriter. (speaking of: if for some odd reason someone ever puts together a film about his life, what better tagline than "our poor boy believes in chance"?)

-nick keiser