Re: (TV) burma report

Joe Hartley wrote:

Run35@aol.com wrote:

 In a message dated 1/24/02 2:44:27 PM, Jesse_Hochstadt@brown.edu writes:

 << a
 Richard Thompson shirt,  >>

 So which RT shirt do you have? Just curious

I happen to have the original RT mailing list shirt (with the quote
"They're worse than real critics - they're amateur critics!" which was
spoken by RT @ Lupo's :) and have come to the realization that wearing
the T shirt from a performer's email list to a show by that performer
is MUCH worse than wearing a shirt from the pervious tour by that
performer!!

I've got the same shirt Joe has. Not sure why Joe says it's so bad to wear it; I suppose it's "uncool," but it is a good way to meet other RT list members. Of course, if you don't want to meet them....

A few years back, the company I worked for had T shirts made up for
the new release of their software.  They radically overestimated the demand
for these (ugly) shirts and donated them to a local charity.

For years after that, I'd see homeless people walking around town
with one of those T shirts on :)

My current housemate served in the Peace Corps in Mali. He says unused/excess clothing from the US is often shipped there (and presumably other African and Third World countries) in great bales. The people in Mali being (a) speakers of French (in addition to native African languages) and (b) largely illiterate (and I should probably add (c) mostly poor), he says it's not unusual to see grandmothers walking around wearing T-shirts bearing sexual innuendos or the logos of Southern rock bands beloved by trailer park residents in the US.

- Jesse