RE: (TV) Another request...

Jay:

>Does anyone have a copy of a record performed by
>Portsmouth Symphonia which was produced by Brian Eno?
>This would be from the 70s.

Jay:
Of course I have it. Have you ever heard the whole thing - straight through?
It's not easy listening, but you have to admire it just for the bravado.
I never really found out how Eno got involved with them, I think John Cale
made the introductions.
from Eno's liner notes: "My own involvement in the Sinfonia is two levels-"
(he never actually explains any levels) "I am a non-musician in the sense of
never having 'studied music, yet at the same time, I notice that many of the
more significant contributions to rock music, and to a lesser extent,
avant-garde music have been made by enthusiastic amateurs and dabblers." (
Hang in there, art-rockers ) "Their strength is that they are able to
approach the task of music making without previously acquired solutions and
without a too firm concept of what is and what is not musically possible.
Coupled with this, and consequent to it, is a current fascination with the
role of 'the accident' in structured activities."
Then he makes a polite joke, musing about whether or not Beethoven would
have enjoyed the Portsmouth Sinfonia version of the Fifth Symphony. Wasn't
Beethoven deaf.....? Brian!

I bought this record because Eno produced and plays (clarinet) on it. I
bought 'everything Eno' up to about 1982. It's obvious that I really dig
him. But, what a giant windbag, and a pompous one at that. This was written
in Sept 1973. I guess he had just wiped off the make up, decided  to become
Professor Eno, appear more serious and write that drek above. He was
promoting his own new 'music theory' of leaving in accidents and building
off them. He was the witch doctor, conjuring up all those squeeky guitars
and woooshing keys, but it was some great music. My kids hate it.
I really do love Eno - the first ten years of his career.
 If he's right about the role of the non-musician in society, then I still
have a hit record in me.

Thank you,
 - Herman