(TV) Sweet ness / Byrds Clarification / Verlaine

More Jonathan Richman

"Nobody ever called Pablo Picasso,

An asshole."
--------
Used to hang around bakeries,

Because there was a lack of sweetness in my life."

> --- Scott Neukam wrote:
> ...who cares if they [Monkees]
> didn't play their own instruments
>(neither did the Byrds)..

Not to get too picky, but not exactly.
In fact, Roger (aka Jim) McGuinn had been
a teenage musical prodigy and an important
session man for many artists' records in early
1960s, e.g. The Chad Mitchell Trio, Hoyt Axton,
Bobby Darin's (folk phase) , etc.

While it is true that the Byrds' first producer,
the legendary Jim[?] Boyd, used several session
musicians on the Byrds' first album for Columbia,
my recollection is these hired guns were used
only for David Crosby's non vocal parts as Crosby
could at that time not play the guitar well enough.

You ask where is the Television content to my post?
If you have the vinyl boxed set (maybe in cd box too?)
of Nick Drake there is a very nice little pamphlet of
liner notes in which the author interviews Jim Boyd
(who had also been Drake's producer) and Boyd tells
the story of how around 1977-78 Verlaine introduced
himself to Boyd and said something along the lines
of "Nick Drake... he was the best."