Re: (TV) The most influential record of the 80's...

With the exception of U2 and possibly the Clash, I don't think many of these
albums had much mainstream influence. Sonic Youth, the Bunnymen, and REM all
had huge influence on the "college" rock and grunge movement of the early 90s,
but I'm not sure mainstream rock/pop radio has really absorbed them. The
Smiths' THE QUEEN IS DEAD or the Pixies' are in similar territory. (I don't
know Steve Earle, so I can't comment).

While it's not my favorite album of the 80s by a longshot, I think Public Enemy
had a massive influence on the sound of the last decade and a half, particular
IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK. Someone else suggested Run DMC,
which seems likely, too. I love PAUL'S BOUTIQUE, but again I suspect Public
Enemy had more influence overall. While the Beastie Boys managed to bring a
similar sound and style to another audience, I don't think as much of that
audience picked-up on it - maybe just Beck and a few others - thus making the
Beastie Boys slightly less "influential".

--Philip